Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary
photo of a diver on a wreck - maritime heritage

Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary is responsible for the protection and preservation of submerged remains of the past that occupy the bottomlands of the sanctuary. Cultural and historic submerged sites include archaeological remains of shipwrecks and prehistoric land sites. Sanctuary stewardship responsibilities include a mandate to inventory sites, encourage research, provide public education and oversee responsible visitor use.

The Search for the Watson A. West

Watson A West The Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary (CINMS) continues research efforts to locate an historic shipwreck lost in 1923. Built at the turn-of-the-century, the sailing vessel WATSON A. WEST was reported stranded at the western end of San Miguel Island, which surrounding waters lie within the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and Channel Islands National Park.

Living Journal- Winfield Scott Survivor

Living Journal and photo of John and Asa Cyrus Call John Call...Great great grandson of Winfield Scott survivor Asa Cyrus Call, shares Asa's experiences as a passenger and survivor aboard the side-wheel steamer Winfield Scott durning the California Gold Rush. The Call family retains three original diaries of Asa Cyrus Call from March 28th, 1850 - December 26th, 1853. The diaries were originally transcribed by George C. Call on Oct. 31st, 1930. John and his wife Vanessa Call made additional edits in Dec. of 1998. John and Vanessa travelled from their home in Kansas and visited the site of the Winfield Scott stranding and to the cove where the survivors are believed to have lived on Anacapa Islands ("the rock") for eight days until being picked up by the Pacific Mail Steamship Company's side-wheel steamer California.

The Chumash

photo of Tomol Crossing

The waters surrounding the Channel Islands provide present day man with a window into past cultures. Located at the islands are the remains of perhaps the earliest island inhabitants, dating back 13,000 years BP. Historically the islands were a special place to the Native Americans known as the Chumash who traveled to the islands in plank canoes called tomols.
“As with other coastal indigenous nations, Chumash people are restoring our heritage of intimacy with the sea for the dual purpose of protecting her and as a means of rediscovering our dignity and identity as a people sprung from this place.”
Roberta R. Cordero Member and co-founder of the Chumash Maritime Association
Click here for the 2013 Tomol Crossing Photogallery Adobe logopdf


Revised July 27, 2017 | Contact Us | WebSite Owner: National Ocean Service
Many links leave the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary Web Site. Please view our Disclaimer for more information.
National Ocean Service | Office of National Marine Sanctuaries | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | NOAA Library | Privacy Policy | User Survey
http://channelislands.noaa.gov /includes/footer.html