was wrecked on a passage from Australia to San Francisco in very
thick weather. The man who commanded her, Captain Guthrie, was
were J. Williamson and W. C. A. Milligan of the Waverly Line,
two of the best-known owners of iron clippers in Liverpool. All
their vessels were named after characters in Sir Walter Scott's
stories, and they all carried lavish decorations of scenes and
portraits from the Waverly novels. Lammermoor, and two
of her sisters, Ivanhoe and Cedric The Saxon,
were widely considered to be "three of the most beautiful iron
clippers that ever left the ways."
was commanded first by G. Duncan, and after 1880 by J. D. Guthrie,
who commanded her at the time of her loss. Davidson's annotated
wreck chart show the location of Lammermoor as approximately
one-half mile southeast of Bodega Head.